Friday, February 26, 2010

My RPG. Part 3

Hooo boy, it's been a while.

I currently have 8 stats that I plan to use in the game. Unfortunately I still haven't decided what some of them is going to govern. A couple of them are easy to place, but others are more difficult. So here's a list with some descriptions of what they do, or what they might do, or both.

- Strength. This was one of the easy ones, it will affect how much damage is dealt in melee, with a physical attack. I'm not sure how the inventory is going to work now, but if it involves the weight of items, then the amount you can carry will be affected too. I was initially thinking that strength would also affect the damage of ranged weapons like bows, but I soon decided against it.

- Endurance. This will affect the maximum amount of health the player has. I'm undecided as to how exactly it will affect it. I think I'll use endurance multiplied by a number as an interim maximum health, but I will look over this again later.

- Agility. This one was a bit tougher as I have three ideas for what it could be used for. As an addition to physical defence, as an increase for ranged physical damage, or as accuracy for physical weapons. I could just make it apply to all these things, but that would make increasing strength worthless. If I increase damage for ranged attacks with agility I'm making less incentive to get into close combat, so that is out for now. I'm not sure about making a stat affect accuracy either, even if it isn't agility. I can see it being a good idea and a bad idea, so I'll leave that out for now too. Which leaves physical defence, for now.

- Speed. This one is another easy one. It affects attack speed. I also had the idea that increasing speed would marginally decrease spell cooldowns. Pretty cool idea, huh?

- Soul. I decided that this will affect magical damage, no matter the range.

- Will. This stat will affect the maximum mana that a player has. Should be pretty much the same as endurance. Except with magic.

- Intelligence. My original idea for this stat was for ranged magical damage, but when I decided that agility wouldn't affect ranged physical damage, I scrapped it. But I still had the stat lying around. I'm leaving out accuracy in all forms for now, so magical accuracy is out as well. This leaves magical defence, which I guess will have to do for now.

- Psyche. This currently will affect the regeneration of health and mana. Not much else to tell.

So that's all the stats I have currently. The first 4 I'm pretty happy with, as far as names go, but I'm not completely sold on the last 4, so I might end up swapping them around, or even replacing the names of some of them. Feel free to leave some suggestions for magical stat names in the comments.

Next post should hopefully be about races, since I mentioned it last time, but then again, I might talk about levelling, or multiplayer. One of those, I hope.

-Shadowfred

No comments:

Post a Comment