Wednesday, February 17, 2010

My RPG. Part 2

Ok, so I said this post would be about the different roles in the RPG. So it will be.

Now when I say roles, I mean what job each character has in the group. These are the basic roles that I have.

- The Tank. Someone who should be taking the brunt of the enemies' attacks, and surviving. Be it through insane amounts of health, enough armour to mitigate the damage or just avoiding the enemies' attacks.
- The Nuker. This type of character should be outputting as much damage on the enemies as possible.
- The Healer. Should be healing the team, making sure that they don't die. Often has abilities that help the teams effectiveness, or buffs.
- The Controller. This role is used to take enemies out of the action by immobilising, stopping use of abilities, or decreasing their combat efficiency.
- The Summoner. They summon things to attack people. I'm pretty sure there won't be any kind of summons in my game, but I thought I might as well list it.

Okay, so there's the four roles that I plan to work with, plus one extra.

There's also where they tank/attack/heal/control from. Close range, or long range.

Combining these two things gives 8 total roles to use, some may not be as viable as others, but I'm still going to consider them when I start work on the classes. Perhaps, depending on the tech trees that the player picks, characters could fill different roles, or at least branch off from what they do as a core concept. Like a melee tank learning some healing spells to keep him alive in the middle of combat. I don't know yet.

So there we go, roles explored. Next post might be on races, or stats, or both. I don't really plan ahead.

-Shadowfred

1 comment: